- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil or Marble Ridge Farms Tallow (Coming Soon)
- 1/4 Heaping Cup Flour
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 lb. Marble Ridge Jalapeño Cheddar Sausage, chopped (Coming soon)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Blues Hog Cajun Bayou Seasoning
- 1 pint chicken broth, shrimp stock, or fish stock
- 1 tbsp. Sweet Paprika
- 1 lb. Shrimp, peeled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Make the roux: Heat the vegetable oil or lard in a heavy pot over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the flour, making sure there are no clumps. Let this cook, stirring often, until brown. It usually takes about 10 minutes.
- Add the Vegetables: Add the celery, green pepper, jalapeño, and onion. Mix well and cook over medium heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Slowly add the Chicken Broth, Seasonings, Shrimp, and Sausage: Measure out 2 cups of the chicken broth and slowly add it a little at a time. Stir constantly to combine. The roux will absorb the stock and seize up at first, then it will loosen. Add additional stock as needed to make a sauce about the thickness of syrup. Add Cajun Bayou Seasoning and Paprika. Mix well. Add salt to taste, then mix in shrimp and sausage. Cover the pot, turn the heat to a low setting and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!